Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh sheet....

I finally got around to making this dress that I've been meaning to make. I think I've been procrastinating on this project for about six months. The project itself took about 6 hours. This is pretty typical for me. I've been wanting to make something with the space print sheets I had as a kid. Since the 1960's concept of the future is my favorite future aesthetic, I figured it would be best to incorporate that aesthetic into this dress.

A few of my favorite 1960's dresses are simple, a-line designs, which are completely devoid of waistlines. On is actually a ridiculous nightgown, but that's besides the point. The point IS that I enjoy wearing these styles with a belt, as shapeless garments aren't particularly flattering on me. I also like that the belt is gauranteed to fall at my real waist (I have a long torso, so sometimes this is a problem with more fitted dresses) and creates a nice gathered effect which is highly adjustable. It is therefore convenient that this 60's tunic pattern fell into my lap. I'm pretty sure that in the future everyone wears tunics. With belts.

I used a hand-me-down pattern for a somewhat shapeless tunic from 1968. It was blurry. Definitely not my camera or photography skills at fault here.


I wanted to keep the top sheet for laying-in-grass purposes, so I had to flatten out the fitted sheet by removing the elastic and opening the seams.


As my mother likes to remind me, ironing is an inherent and annoying part of sewing.


I did modify the pattern a little. I saw no reason to cut out two back pieces and sew them together, so I just took out the seam allowance and cut it as one piece (for those of you who don't sew, this is done by folding the fabric in half and placing the center line of the pattern on the fold).


Darts. I love them so.


I haven't followed a pattern in a while, so something got a little off with the neck and shoulder facings.


And it's done! Or is it...


Better put a belt on it. I like to scrunch the extra fabric in the front and the back, keeping it relatively flat on the sides. Good belt wearing technique is important.


And the back view. This photo makes me realize that while I've gotten pretty good at trimming my own hair, I need a friend to add some layers to the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment